Tuesday, December 13, 2011

I joined The Dream Flag Project because . . .

 2011 ,13 December
Here's what some teachers just sent in when asked why they joined The Dream Flag Project. . . .

It’s different and connects us to others

“ I was looking for a unique writing activity for my students.”
--Susan Klaube, Lounsberry Hollow Middle School,
Vernon, New Jersey

“The dream of expressing freely, the professional way of working as a real team, the way of getting involved in such a challenging activity that can bring us out of the daily routine.”
– Panescu Lilina, Scoala Tudor Vladimirescu,
Targoviste, Romania

"Love the opportunity to involve our tots in a project beyond our island home."
--Brenda Freitas-Obregon, Kalihi-Palama Public Library,
Honolulu, Hawaii
It’s fun!
“My students love this project.”
--Amiyrah Waddell, George Washington Carver School,
Newark, New Jersey

“Meeting new friends and sharing ideas. This program rocks!”
--Dawn Flowers, Burrell Bloom Methodist School,
Belize District, Belize

“Love to dream; love the project; my students love writing the poems and making the flags.”
--Sheri Skelton, White Mountain School,
White Mountain, Alaska

“It was an amazing experience with the kids last year  ...seeing all their dream flags strung around the school. We hope to get others in town involved this year.”
--Avis Turner, Noah Wallace School,
Farmington, Connecticut

 It helps us teach what’s important:
“Invaluable experiences for my students for the last 5 years. I can't imagine the school year without participation in the project.”
--Katie Ball, Oneness-Family School,
Chevy Chase, Maryland

“It is a great unit to teach tolerance and acceptance and learn about our country's history.”
--Michelle Simmons, Green Mountain Elementary,
Bremerton , Washington

“Lovely idea and pedagogy.”
--Lisa Hantman, McCall School,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
It’s flexible:
“I have always received the emails, but never participated.   I teach ESOL, and I didn't always have a teaching situation that would allow participation.  I hope I might this year.   I might add a class of 8-10, if the going is good.  But I'm starting with one class.”
--Betsy Beyler, Robinson Middle School,
Fairfax, Virginia

“We had a break from the project and now we are excited to return. Decided to focus on one grade level instead of our previous all school participation.”
--Helene Duckett, Loomis School,
Broomall, Pennsylvania

Have a comment? Please let us know. Comment here or email dreamflags@agnesirwin.org

No comments:

Post a Comment